Monday, July 26, 2010

A Minor Rant

This about my car. I love my car, 2004 impala. Its fun to drive, responds well, handles well and has my favoritest feature ever invented, auto headlights... Even the turn signal lights are easy to change. I thank twitter for suggesting youtube to watch a video of how easy it was because they were probably sick of me complaining about the crazy blinking signal light on the dash every time i tried to make a left turn. That car makes sure you KNOW one of the lights is out....

I digress... It has one minor thing that annoys me, but is expensive to fix. Cars have these things called body control modules. They are parts on the computer that work things like power locks, cruise and other electrical stuff.
About 5 minutes after the main warranty was up the module that unlocks the doors started to act up. To replace the module it is like $300... I loathe to spend... maybe next year.
For the record, Chevy put only 1 key hole on the driver's side. Something that I did not pay attention to until the doors wouldn't unlock. When it gets hot, the car wont unlock with the buttons or when you put it in park. Period. Sometimes turning the AC on and splitting it between the dash and the floor gets it working again. Typically... you have to freeze yourself out though. With our latest heat streak the damn locks haven't worked in like a week. Even after sitting over night.
Its really annoying when you have a kid. I had to teach Julia how to unlock her door last year cause there is no key hole for her damn door. I am not rubber band girl with the ability to stretch from the drivers seat to the passenger rear seat to unlock it myself. Rolling the back window down is not always convenient either,

Well, magically Saturday, on my way to HelloSAL in that blazing heat, the shit started working. Apparently, if kept hot long enough, that bitch of a module will give up and say "damn is it HAWT in the 'burgh... I might as well work" and the locks have been working correctly ever since...

Maybe the car is worried I will search youtube for body control module replacement and try to do that myself too. Hmmm.... 

Wonder how long till it annoys the shit out of me again....

No comments:

Post a Comment